Callouts & Annotations
Our flexible Callout & Annotation stencils have all kinds of uses:
- They can be incorporated into all kinds of wireframes, mockups, and designs.
- Because they are sticky by default – and can be attached to any object – they play an essential role in task, product, and project management.
- They work alongside Comments, in ongoing projects, as a way of providing detailed feedback.
- They are powerful whiteboarding tools, especially when used in combination with our collection of premade, Business Strategy templates and models.
In this article, we’ll show you the types of annotations available in our library, and how to format them on the page.
Types of Annotations
All the annotation stencils are designed to be as versatile as possible, so your team can deploy them in all kinds of ways. Here are just a few suggestions:
Callout, Bracket, Speech Bubble and Thought Bubble stencils, can also be used for quick annotation – and to point towards actionable items or areas of the page that need the team’s attention.
The Callout stencil can also be used to mock up UI elements like tooltips and popovers menus:
Sticky Notes are great for brainstorming, whiteboard, planning, or creating business models:
They are also ideal tools for annotating basic UI, page, or business rules – or for making suggestions:
Finding and adding annotations
You’ll find the Callout, Bracket, Speech Bubble and Thought Bubble stencils in the Callouts & Annotations category of the Stencils Library.
Just like all stencils, they are added to the page, as objects, by drag and drop or a double-click.
Annotation stencils are text stencils and, with a couple of unique exceptions, are formatted the same way.
In the Format Panel, you can set their:
- Coordinates and rotation
- Font family and style
- Line spacing, line height and letter spacing
- Fill and stroke colors and style
- Opacity, drop shadow, and blur
Quick Format Text Toolbar
When you select text within an annotation – or double-click on the text area – the Quick-Format Text Toolbar will pop up, allowing you to:
- Apply basic font styling (Bold, Italics, Underline and Strike-Through)
- Create bullets and numbered lists
- Add links
- Clear formatting
- Choose from quick font color presets
- Highlight text
- Display the character counter by clicking the Show stats button
Sticky Note Color
All stencils in the Callouts & Annotations category have both Normal and Sticky modes – allowing them to either be attached to an object, or to float freely.
Sticky Behavior can be toggled on and off in the Format Panel.
To attach an annotation to any object, just drag the tail onto that object, and release when you see the orange frame.